9.19.2006

coup coup

When my wife and I were living in Thailand, I read a book by a lady who lived there for several years while her husband was in the US foreign service. She talked about how there were something like four military coups when she was there and though that was back in either the 60s or 70s (which were much more tumultuous for Thailand), I still always wondered in the back of my mind whether there would be one when we were there.

Well now it's come. I just saw on CNN that as I type these words, tanks appear to be surrounding the office of the prime minister, who happens to be at the UN headquarters in New York right now. Everything's up in the air and no one knows yet if it really is a coup, but darn it, I wish I was there. It's like when there's a family reunion and all your older cousins get to go out and have fun, but you have to stay with the adults. My cousins get to go out and have a coup, while I have to stay with the adults at law school. I never get to play with the big kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home