7.22.2006

happy birthday

My birthday's almost here. I had my first midlife crisis when I turned 20, and there have been aftershocks every year since.

I'll be turning 25 on Thursday, and it really is a bit depressing. Quarter of a century. At or past the peak of physical ability. If one is to believe the blockbuster math movies, my time for discovering earth-shattering mathematical equations has also passed. If I'm honest with myself, that last one probably wasn't going to happen anyway, but it's a bit depressing nonetheless.

The only bright spot I can see, really, is that I'll be in the clear for renting cars -- no surcharges for being too young, etc. But then I have to balance that against my impending death. So really, this birthday comes down to rental car access vs. impending death. The scale seems a bit unbalanced, and becomes even more so when I realize that I've only rented a car a total of two times in my life, and both of those times were in countries that didn't have surcharges anyway.

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. once said that if you haven't accomplished anything great by the time you're 40, it isn't going to happen. I better get cracking.

1 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Nothing said...

Happy Birthday, my friend. May your days be long, your nights full of giggidy-giggidy, and your hands full of cash. There, I just made that one up by myself. Neeto!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home