1.24.2010

procreation missionaries

My lovely wife and I go back and forth pretty frequently on whether we're going to have children, and one little consideration I recently learned of is the fact that if we were to get our preferred location for my next base assignment and she were to be pregnant while over there, the place is so remote that she would have to "stork nest" in Germany during the last trimester and give birth over there. Wowsers.

But that's a sidenote, really, from the main point of this post: parents aren't the best advocates for parenting. We were out with several couples last night, one of which has a newborn. The husband's opinion on the matter? "I'm told this will be awesome in 40 years." Each time we're told by an exasperated parent "don't rush into having kids" (hardly an issue after six and a half years of marriage), I wonder if that's the parent's nice way of saying "run for your life."

4 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger Nothing said...

It's harder to be a parent than it is to be single, but it is possible. Hell, if I can do it with 2 kids, anyone can do it.

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous chelfea said...

I must say, your title for this post was evocative and gave me an altogether different interpretation of what it was to be about. In fact, I was forming my "OMG TMI" response in my head before I read it. Now I feel rather let down now. Although it is reassuring that others think logically about having kids before undertaking.

Also -- dammit, Nothing, I had a whole post ready to go live about "if I can do it, you can do it" logic. And now if I post it, people will think it's about this. And that will make twice in one week that people think I'm writing about them. (Really, you all should know better: everything is about me -- ABOUT ME, I SAY. Perhaps I'll write a new tagline for my blog: "warmed-over soapboxes: IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU.")

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger T.M. said...

I have a few ideas as to how the title might have evoked a TMI response, but the better part of me counsels not to explore that any further at this time.

Nothing, you're superman. I can never match superman.

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Jorcko said...

Ahem.

After visiting "Nothing"'s house a few weeks ago (and my cousin 9 years younger than me who now has 3 kids!), I will not be rushing in to anything! Of course, having a kid requires a partner, at least that's what they tell me.

I want at least one child before I die or Jesus comes in the clouds, but I want to also be rich enough to hire a nanny for whenever the kid starts whining or crying. I'll only see the happy, laughing kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home